20 October 2010

The beginning of my search!

Here we go!  My first attempt at a blog!  I am attempting to write a blog in an effort to get you to help me complete a project that has been working in my mind for over 20 years!  I have wanted for years to bring the military way of life to light in a more personal way; a way in which had never been done.

My father, Capt. Steven L. Bennett, was killed in Vietnam on June 29, 1972 and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. 



While this was a great honor for our family, it was also a great responsibility for us to bear.  We did and do so with great pride, but every day I wish that I could give back to those men and women who so bravely serve our great country with the same pride and dedication that my father served with.

This brings me to my project.  There are several levels to this endeavor of mine; starting with this one, the blog.  This blog will serve as a means by which I can reach out to people and ask for their stories.  I want stories from service men and women, their spouses, children, comrades, etc.  I want to know what service means to you, to your loved ones.  I want to know what you have experienced being in the service, or have experienced being the family member of a service member.

For example, I would write about how my father passing when I was 2 1/2 had an impact on my life, both in a positive and in a negative way.  My father's backseater may write about his days as a Marine, or he may write about that fateful day with my dad, or he may write about what it has been like to be a survivor and meet the family of the deceased...who knows, I just want you to write about what you feel and what you know.

I want a face to a name.  I want people to see you through your words, feel you through your phrases, understand you through your expressions.  I believe that it is time for us to understand you as human beings, not as uniforms, tanks, guns, helmets or planes.  People used to ask me how I could attend dedications and remain so calm and not get emotional.  I used to tell them that I would just focus on an object, a plane or a picture and that would keep me from thinking of my father or of the sad emotions involved with the moment.  Then it dawned on me...I think America in general is doing the same thing.  We have focused on the helmet, the tank on the TV.  We aren't taking the time to get to know the individual, but I think we want to...I know we need to.

Please start submitting your stories.  I will fill you in with what we will be doing in the future.  You can continue with me or opt out at any time, I do hope you will continue with me down this exciting path.  I believe wholeheartedly in your service and feel very strongly in telling your stories...please let me!

Thank you for your time, we'll talk soon!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea Ange. I'll post this to my friends to get the word out more. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ash! I have wanted to do this for a long time. I have great ideas for future projects but need to start with collecting stories! Please pass it on to as many people as you would like! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete